Without Prejudice returns – today from Gray’s Inn – to discuss the Leveson report and political reaction to it. Charon QC chairs as media lawyer and journalist David Allen Green, mature law student (and Without Prejudice sound consultant!) Jez Hindmarsh and I talk about:
- the legal basis of the inquiry;
- Leveson’s recommendations for a new kind of press self-regulation;
- the nature of the statutory underpinning he proposes
- validation and possible backstop regulation by Ofcom
- what it could mean for bloggers, and
- the unusual double ministerial statement in response.
I think it’s a good discussion covering the main planks of the report and our reactions to it.